UFC’s Jon Jones disputes strip club waitress’ assault claim

Sports

File – In this July 6, 2019, file photo, Jon Jones, right, lands a kick on Thiago Santos during their light heavyweight mixed martial arts title bout at UFC 239 in Las Vegas. UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is denying allegations that he assaulted a waitress in a New Mexico strip club. Denise White, a representative for Jones, said in a statement Monday, July 22, 2019, that he is confident he will be cleared of the “baseless claim.” (AP Photo/Eric Jamison, File)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is denying allegations that he assaulted a waitress in a New Mexico strip club.

Denise White, a representative for Jones, said in a statement Monday that he is confident he will be cleared of the “baseless claim.”

According to White, the fighter only became aware of the battery charge against him Sunday through Albuquerque news outlets.

Jones is accused of placing the waitress in a chokehold and slapping her genitals during an April visit.

Court records show a bench warrant was issued for Jones when he never attended a bond arraignment last month.

White says Jones has since paid the bond and the warrant was lifted.

Jones is coming off of a 15-month suspension last year for doping.

He plans to fight in December.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Dont Miss

More Don't Miss