An early 6-0 lead helped the No. 11 Towson Tigers past the No. 2 Syracuse Orange, ending the Orange’s season with a 10-7 loss in the NCAA Quarterfinal Round in Newark, Delaware on Sunday.

Behind four goals from Joe Seider and four assists from Ryan Drenner, the Tigers pulled out to an 8-2 halftime lead. Despite seven second half saves from goalie, Evan Molloy, and three fourth-quarter goals from Nate Solomon, the Orange’s comeback efforts fell short.

Solomon led the way for the Orange with four goals, while Stephen Rehfuss added four assists. Brendan Bomberry, Sergio Salcido, and Ryan Simmons tacked on one goal each, while Jordan Evans, Nick Mariano, and Bomberry added assists.

The nation’s second-best man-up unit, the Orange failed to convert on all four of its extra-man opportunities, while seven Syracuse penalties led to three goals for Towson.

After controlling the opening draw and holding possession for the first 3:37 of the game, Towson got on the board first as Jon Mazza scored an unassisted goal. Towson then built its 6-0 first quarter lead with three goals from Seider, one from Lynch and one from Matt Wylly.

After 17:43 of scoreless play to open the game, the Orange got on the board as Evans found Salcido in front of the net for a backhanded goal.

Controlling possession for the bulk of the quarter, Simmons cut the Towson lead to four with 4:53 to play in the half, capturing a pass from Rehfuss on the crease and redirecting it past the Towson keeper, Matt Hoy.

Lynch ended the Syracuse run with 3:23 to play. Assisted by Mazza, the goal pushed the Tigers’ lead back to five. With 2:12 to play, Seider added his fourth of the day, making the score 8-2 in favor of Towson.

After a series of halftime adjustments and four saves from Molloy in the first 8:37 of the third period, Solomon scored his first of the day for the Orange, assisted by Rehfuss.

However, the Tigers bounced back, as Wylly notched another goal with 3:39 remaining in the third, giving Towson a 9-3 lead.

Despite going man-down to start the final quarter, the Orange came out swinging. Finding Brendan Bomberry on the crease, Rehfuss picked up his third assist of the day as Syracuse cut the lead to five.

Tyler Konen responded for the Tigers with 13:02 remaining to push the lead back to six. However, just 11 seconds later, after winning the faceoff, Solomon scored again for the Orange.

Picking up the pace, Solomon added his second in 12 seconds, after being fed by Bomberry on a fast break. Solomon added his third of the day with 42.6 seconds left, assisted by Nick Mariano, but it would be the final of the Orange’s season.

The Orange conclude the season with a 13-3 record.