ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Health emergencies don’t operate on a nine-to-five schedule. Disaster can strike at any time of day for a person — or for their pet. Yet while Rochester has several 24/7 options for humans, pet services tap out after 10 p.m.
So where can you go if your pet has an emergency requiring urgent care outside of normal business hours? If you live in Rochester, you may be in for quite a drive.
Most animal hospitals in the Rochester area do not accept emergency walk-in visits. Depending on the time of day and where you live, the nearest available help for your pet may be in Buffalo, Ithaca, or Syracuse.
For all animal services — even those that take emergency walk-ins — representatives always ask that you call ahead to make sure the clinic or hospital is appropriate for your pet’s needs.
If you’re worried your pet has eaten something dangerous, the ASPCA offers a 24/7/365 hotline. Call (888) 426-4435 for animal poison control.
In the Greater Rochester Area, your best bet for emergency walk-in care is the Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Services in Henrietta. Seven days a week, they accept new and established patients from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Phone: (585) 326-9645
- Address: 825 White Spruce Blvd., Rochester
Their phones are on after hours, and representatives confirmed patients will receive 24-hour care when necessary. New patients are not accepted from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
While Ark Veterinary Hospital doesn’t take walk-ins, they offer urgent care services. Starting at 8 a.m. owners can call to schedule a same-day appointment on a first come, first serve basis.
- Phone: (585) 487-8700
- Address: 35 Finn Road, Henrietta
The hospital is open until 10 p.m. Friday-Monday, and open until 8 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. They do not provide 24-hour care.
Similarly, Pittsford Animal Hospital has an urgent care for animals, which is offered on weekends and holidays. The hours for the urgent care is Saturday from 2-8 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Otherwise, general practice hours are Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Phone: (585)-271-7700
- Address: 2816 Monroe Avenue, Rochester
State Street Animal Hospital offers 24/7 emergency care, but only for existing clients. For new clients, they do not provide emergency care.
- Phone: (585) 356-4603
- Address: 7950 State Street Rd., Batavia
- Orchard Park Veterinary Medical Center is open 24/7 for emergencies as well as regular care
- Phone: (716) 662-6660, press option 1
- Address: 3930 North Buffalo Road, Orchard Park
- Greater Buffalo Veterinary Emergency Clinic is an animal hospital dedicated exclusively to emergencies, and is open 24/7
- Phone: Call (716) 703-9182
- Address: 4821 Genesee Street, Cheektowaga
- Green Acres Veterinary Emergency Center is open 24/7 for emergencies. Importantly, some Google Maps may show the location closed. As of 3/8/2023, this is not true, according to a representative.
- Phone: (716) 694-0122
- 2060 Niagara Falls Blvd, Tonawanda
Urgent Veterinary Care in Auburn is a clinic designed to compliment dayside clinics, that specializes in urgent issues.
- Phone: (315) 515-3074
- Address: 207 Genesee St., Auburn
Their hours are as follows:
- Monday, Tuesday – CLOSED
- Wednesday, Thursday – 6 p.m to 11 p.m.
- Friday – 12 p.m. to 1 a.m. with overnight care available
- Saturday – 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine offers a range of 24/7 emergency services as well as comprehensive care:
- For pets (domestic and companion animals), visit Cornell’s Companion Animal Hospital
- Phone: (607) 253-3060
- Address: 930 Campus Road, Ithaca
- For horses and other farm animals, visit Nemo Farm Animal Hospital
- Phone: (607) 253-3100
- Address: 930 Campus Road, Ithaca
- If your farm is within 25 miles of Ithaca, Cornell offers ambulance services for farm animals
- (607) 253-3140
Veterinary Medical Center of Central New York used to be a true 24/7 clinic, but in September was forced to partially close its doors on Fridays and Saturdays. Starting at 2 a.m. Friday into 8 a.m. Sunday, the clinic is critical emergencies only.
All other times, the clinic offers urgent care, appointments, and other services. According to a representative, the center is working to get back to true 24/7.
- Phone: (315) 446-7933, press option 1
- Address: 5841 Bridge Street, East Syracuse
Editor’s Note: Do you know of another emergency vet service in the Greater Rochester Area? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org