Police in Cheektowaga say they rescued a 3-year-old girl from a hot car after her mother allegedly overdosed on heroin.
Tuesday night, around 11 p.m., an officer saw a parked vehicle running with its lights on in the parking lot of a closed business on Genesee St. near Harlem Rd.
At first, police say the car appeared to be unoccupied, but that turned out to be false when they say a child jumped up on the seat.
According to police, the child “was profusely sweating and beet red in color.”
That night, the temperature outside was in the 80s. Police say all the car’s windows were shut, the doors were locked and the heater was on.
They say her mother, 28-year-old St. James Rd. resident Jade Nikel, was passed out over the center console with a needle sticking from her arm.
The child was unable to unlock the car’s doors, so police had to break a window to free her. She was treated for dehydration.
Officials say they prepared to administer Narcan to Nikel, but she woke up.
According to officers, heroin was found in the car.
Nikel was charged with reckless endangerment, endangering the welfare of a child, criminal possession of a controlled substance and possession of a hypodermic instrument.
She was taken to the Erie County Holding Center on $1,000 bail.
The child was turned over to a family member.