Wayne Central Middle School resource officer injured after altercation with employee armed with knife

Local News


WAYNE, N.Y. (WROC) — The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office has identified Thomas Franco, 19, as the man accused of injuring a school resource officer and causing a lockdown at Wayne Central Middle School Monday.

Investigators say Franco brandished a weapon at school officials and resisted arrest. He was charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon and Assault.

The school resource officer was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital, treated, and released.

Police say no students were in danger throughout the incident.


WAYNE, N.Y. (WROC) — Wayne Central Middle School was on lockdown on Monday, according to district officials after a school resource officer was injured after an incident with an employee.

According to a post from the Wayne Central School District, all students are safe and accounted for.

According to the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, a Wayne County Deputy Sheriff — who is acting as a school resource officer — was injured when the deputy responded to assist staff who were already engaged in a physical confrontation with another employee who was armed with a knife.

The deputy and the assailant were both transported to locals hospitals for non-life threatening treatment. According to the WCSO, no students were injured during the confrontation.

Superintendent Joseph Siracuse said in a statement the district follow emergency lockdown procedures to keep the student safe.

“This morning an incident occurred at the Wayne Central Middle School involving a staff member, school personnel and school resource officers. No students were involved nor did any students witness the event. The district is working with law enforcement and there is an active investigation that prohibits me from providing more specific details at this time.  I know that there are a lot of speculation.  What I can share is that there was a fast and significant law enforcement presence. 

“So kind of scary for a middle school. Definitely outraged,” said an on-scene parent, Crystal Rowe.

Rowe rushed to get her 5th-grade daughter as soon as she was alerted by the school. It is not clear yet who the employee is, the public has only been told it was a ‘staff member’. Rowe is asking more is done in the future to screen all workers for mental health. 

“I can understand why she called me crying and in hysterics. I mean, I would have been scared too. I just can’t believe they would allow that to happen,” says Rowe.

“I was thinking me and my friends were going to die,” says her daughter, Kristanna Aman.

Aman says police were running through the building, the lights went out and doors were locked tight. The teachers she says, looked panicked. 

“And I was like ‘what is going on?’. And then my friends were crying, and I started crying,” she says.

Through it all, Rowe says the response and the way it was handled was right.

“As long as they’re all safe, they did a good job getting the children on lockdown, that’s what I was very happy about, and notifying the parents right away,” says Rowe.

The investigation is ongoing.

News 8 WROC will provide updates as they become available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Remarkable Women
Covid-19 County by County tracker
Download Our App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss