BROCKPORT, N.Y. (WROC) – SUNY Brockport interim suspended its NCAA Division III men’s soccer program on Saturday pending the outcome of an investigation stemming from potential coronavirus policy violations. Six students will receive individual interim suspensions.
SUNY Brockport learned from Brockport Village Police of a gathering in the Village of Brockport that reportedly consisted of over 50 people not wearing masks or social distancing on Saturday evening. No citations were issued.
The men’s soccer team is to cease all team functions, including practices, workouts, team meetings, etc. The only exception to the interim suspension for the individual students as well as the entire men’s soccer team is the requirement for all to report to campus in order to take part in the college’s pool surveillance testing, the college said.
A statement from President Heidi Macpherson:
“I was extremely disappointed to learn of the activities that led to the interim suspension of the men’s soccer team. While the vast majority of our students are following the proper COVID-19 precautions, we cannot allow the health and safety of our community to be jeopardized by the inappropriate and potentially dangerous actions of a few individuals. If we want to complete the semester in a healthy environment, everyone must all follow the rules and guidelines created to protect us.”
A statement from Athletic Director Erick Hart:
“I am saddened that these students would make these choices to jeopardize the health and safety of the community, especially knowing how hard fellow student-athletes worked to protect the nest.”
A statement from SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras
“I spoke with SUNY Brockport President Heidi Macpherson about her decision to place their men’s soccer program and several student athletes on interim suspension following a large gathering involving students who were violating safety protocols. I fully support the college’s action.
“As we have seen on other campuses, this virus can spread rapidly, causing the suspension of on campus activities and in person instruction for the vast majority of students who are doing the right thing. We cannot let a few individuals ruin it for the entire SUNY community. Therefore, working with our campus leaders across the SUNY system we are finalizing a comprehensive, uniform response to address COVID-19 violations on all SUNY campuses. We must continue to send a loud and clear message that we will not tolerate blatant violations during this new normal. It’s unfair to the students, faculty, staff, and families who have done so much to re-open our colleges and universities.”
Last week, the university announced the suspension of its wrestling program over similar infractions, pending the outcome of investigations stemming from potential COVID-19 policy violations. The college’s interim said two wrestling physical education classes have also been canceled for the fall semester.
Dozens of individuals, including members of the wrestling program and their roommates on-campus needed to be quarantined. According to the interim, a group of off-campus wrestlers were issued quarantine orders, also.
Following a negative COVID-19 antigen test and a negative COVID-19 PCR test from the original contact, all precautionary quarantined individuals have been released from quarantine. The interim said the original contact is still in quarantine as per rules provided by Monroe County.