Monroe County Executive Cheryl Dinolfo has released the following recommendations to stay safe during and the winter storm.
· Residents should continue to avoid unnecessary travel. If you must travel, please use caution and drive slowly.
· Use caution when leaving driveways and parking lots as snowbanks can block views of traffic and pedestrians.
· Watch for children playing on snowbanks. They can be hidden from view as you drive around the community.
· Periodically check on elderly neighbors to make sure they are safe during the snowstorm.
· If you are shoveling outside, make sure to take breaks. Shoveling can be strenuous and can increase risk for heart attacks.
· If you live nearby a fire hydrant and are able, please remove snow around the hydrant. This helps first responders respond quickly in case of a fire.
· As snow builds up around homes, it is important to make sure that dryer and chimney vents are kept clear to prevent fires and gas build up.
· When snow blowing your driveway, please be careful of fallen tree debris that may be buried under the snow.