Sheriff Barry Virts spoke with members of the media on Wednesday, a day after a man was indicted on new charges for the death of a young woman and her baby in Sodus.
Alberto Reyes is now charged with murder for the death of 18-year-old Selena Hidalgo-Calderon and her infant son Owen. Initially, Reyes was only charged with tampering with evidence in the case.
Speaking Wednesday, Sheriff Virts refused to go into further detail about the crimes, saying he wants the case to be tried in court.
“We’re not looking to adjudicate this through the lens of your camera, but through a courtroom,” the sheriff told one reporter when asked about a motive. “I’m sorry that we cannot answer your questions.”
Court paperwork also failed to expound on the crime.
What we do know
Deputies say Reyes killed 18-year-old Selena Hidalgo–Calderon and her son Owen in May and buried their bodies in a wooded area near a farm in Sodus off Joy Road.
Selena’s body was found wrapped in plastic, days after a missing person report was issued for her and her baby on May 20.
However, despite extensive searching, it was months before deputies were able to find the body of her 14-month-old son. Owen was recovered on October 14; his skeletal remains were found in a shallow grave not far from where his mother’s body was found.
Investigators said Reyes was spotted on trail cameras walking in and out of the woods with a shovel. Deputies said Reyes later admitted to moving and burying Selena’s body, but didn’t admit to killing her.
Tuesday, the sheriff did disclose new details in the case:
- Deputies believe both Selena and Owen were murdered at the Joy Road farm.
- Investigators believe Selena and Owen were killed around the same time, sometime between May 16, when they were last seen alive, and May 23.
- No weapon was recovered in the case, BUT the sheriff wouldn’t say whether or not a weapon was used.
- As previously reported, during interviews with deputies, the sheriff says Reyes admitted to moving Selena’s body. Tuesday, the sheriff disclosed that Reyes never spoke about Owen.
- The skeletal remains found on October 15 have been positively identified as Owen’s through DNA analysis.
- Deputies haven’t been able to interview Reyes since May 22/23. Those interviews were recorded, the sheriff says, and will be used in the trial.
In a statement to News 8, the mother for Selena Hidalgo-Calderon said:
For months, I have been waiting for the day when he will finally be charged with murder. I want justice for my family. Nothing will give me back my daughter Selena and my grandson Owen, but I want this man to pay for what he has done so he will never hurt anyone again.
I will never see Selena smile again or see my grandson grow up. They were full of life and innocent. I will never understand why he had to end their lives.
Please bring all the weight of the law and make him pay for what he has done.
Rest in Peace Selena and Owen.