Coronavirus Facts First

Rochester firefighters warn against smoking in bed after smoking materials cause apartment fire

Local News
Fire at Charlotte Harbortown Homes_1496453020741.jpg

Rochester firefighters responded to a fire in a high rise on Lake Avenue around 7 p.m. Friday night. 

The Fire Department says that the fire started in an apartment at the Charlotte Harbortown Homes, after smoking materials started a mattress on fire. 

The call came in to the department as a person trapped in the apartment.

When firefighters arrived, there was no fire showing. Upon investigation, they located the fire inside the apartment and were able to contain it to the one apartment. 

The person who was inside the apartment woke up to the automatic alarm and exited safety. RFD says there are no injuries, and no need for the Red Cross to displace any occupants. 

The Rochester Fire Department reminds the public to never smoke in bed, as mattresses and bedding can catch on fire easily. Information about smoking and fire safety can be found on FEMA’s website, here.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss