A reminder from local fire departments, there is still a state-wide burn ban in effect until May 14.
Open burning is prohibited in New York, with several exceptions:
- Campfires less than 3 feet in height and 4 feet in length, width or diameter are allowed.
- Small cooking fires are allowed.
- Fires cannot be left unattended and must be fully extinguished.
- Only charcoal or clean, untreated or unpainted wood can be burned.
- Ceremonial or celebratory bonfires are allowed.
For more information on the state DEC’s burn ban click here.