Brighton Fire Department Chief Stephen McAdam said the phone has been ringing off the hook since last Wednesday, when the bad weather began.
“We run about seven calls on average a day. We’re up this month. We were at 84 last Wednesday with the wind storm.”
McAdam said they’re taking calls about traffic accidents, medical emergencies and a silent killer getting into homes: carbon monoxide.
“That has been our main call for the day; 8 or 9 of those,” he explained.
Brighton Fire isn’t the only department taking those calls.
The Rochester Fire Department was called a home on Michigan Street Wednesday, after a neighbor using a snow blower accidentally blocked the furnace exhaust pipe, which sent carbon monoxide into the home.
10 people had to be taken to the hospital.
McAdam says carbon monoxide is silent; you can’t see it or smell it, but there are signs to look out for.
“Headache, sore throat. The home should have a working smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector,” he said.