Local fire department responding to more emergency calls due to weather

Local News

Brighton Fire Department Chief Stephen McAdam said the phone has been ringing off the hook since last Wednesday, when the bad weather began.

“We run about seven calls on average a day. We’re up this month. We were at 84 last Wednesday with the wind storm.”

McAdam said they’re taking calls about traffic accidents, medical emergencies and a silent killer getting into homes: carbon monoxide.

“That has been our main call for the day; 8 or 9 of those,” he explained.

Brighton Fire isn’t the only department taking those calls.

The Rochester Fire Department was called a home on Michigan Street Wednesday, after a neighbor using a snow blower accidentally blocked the furnace exhaust pipe, which sent carbon monoxide into the home.

10 people had to be taken to the hospital.

McAdam says carbon monoxide is silent; you can’t see it or smell it, but there are signs to look out for.

“Headache, sore throat. The home should have a working smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector,” he said.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss