NEW YORK (WWTI) — As Thanksgiving is going to look a little different for many Americans in 2020, safety is on the minds of many.
To minimize the spread of the coronavirus, health officials across the country are urging all to opt for smaller or seperate diners, participate in virtual events or connect through video calls.
Considering these recommendations, a recent study determined which states are providing the safest conditions for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. The WalletHub study “Safest States to Spend Thanksgiving” examined 50 states across 10 metrics. Metrics included state COVID-19 regulations and precautions, COVID-19 infection rates, fatalities and other general safety factors such as crime rates and DUI-related fatalities.
The study concluded that New York is the fourth safest state nationwide, with Vermont ranking the safest and South Dakota ranking the most dangerous.
Specific findings for New York included:
- 3rd fewest DUI-fatalities in motor vehicle crashes around Thanksgiving
- 7th lowest COVID-19 hospitalization rate this week
- 10th fewest COVID-19 positive tests in the past week per capita
- 15th lowest crime rate
- 27th lowest share of online homes
For the full findings from the study visit the WalletHub website.
- Weather forecast: Rain arrives by daybreak Monday
- Bills running game takes step in the right direction vs. Chargers
- Josh Allen says they ‘left a lot out there’ offensively after missed opportunities vs. Chargers
- Wisconsin counties finish recount, confirms Biden’s win over Trump
- Bills need to close out games during final stretch of regular season