ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — The Rochester Fire Department responded to a report of a house in flames near Penrose Street in the Charlotte neighborhood around 4:30 p.m. Sunday.
On-scene fire marshals discovered fire damage to the top of the home’s roof. Upon further investigation, the RFD confirmed the house was struck by lightning around an approximately one square foot area on the roof.
At the time of the fire, there were five people inside of the home but no one was injured. According to RFD, there was damage to the second floor of the house.
RFD officials say the occupants of the home were lucky to walk away from the incident unscathed.
“We did have some smoldering stuff in the attic it took us a bit to get it out. But there’s no extension. Minnor electric problems from the lightening strike as well,” RFD Chief Mike Dobberton said. “But it looks like the family will be able to stay in the house.”