ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — The family of Daniel Prude has arrived in Rochester, coming from all over the country to join Thursday’s rally on Jefferson Avenue. The demonstration was a celebration of life featuring live music from Danielle Ponder with a full band in the street.
Demonstrators danced, sang, and demanded justice for Prude for the ninth straight night in Rochester, peacefully Thursday.
Prude, a 41-year-old Black man from Chicago, died after an encounter with Rochester police in March, but news of the incident didn’t come to light until September 2, and now the case is being investigated by the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
The autopsy report from the Monroe County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the death of Prude a homicide. The report says Prude’s cause of death includes “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.” The report also showed that Prude also had a small amount of PCP in his system at the time of his death, which could explain his erratic behavior.
Seven Rochester police officers have been suspended with pay in connection to the incident: Officers Mark Vaughn, Troy Taladay, Paul Ricotta, Francisco Santiago, Andrew Specksgoor, Josiah Harris, and Sgt. Michael Magri.
A federal civil lawsuit filed from the Prude family against the City of Rochester alleges there was an internal cover-up. Police Chief La’Ron Singletary, and other command staff within the department, have since announced their retirements.
Protests have been ongoing in Rochester since the news broke Wednesday.
Check back with News 8 WROC as we will continue to update this developing story.
- Rochester police union president Mike Mazzeo denies seeing Daniel Prude video in April
- Rep. Morelle: Mayor Warren, other leaders should ask themselves if they can still be a positive force
- Free the People ROC hosts town hall on policing and public health
- 8th straight night of Daniel Prude protests in Rochester concludes peacefully
- City Council president says Mayor Warren told her on August 20 that Prude’s death was an overdose
- City of Rochester officials say police union president received Daniel Prude video in April
- Rochester police union president, Mayor Lovely Warren call on each other to resign
- Two men facing federal charges in connection to Saturday’s Daniel Prude protest in Rochester
- RASE Commission Co-Chair calls for a cease-fire between police, protesters in Rochester
- Adam Bello: The county spends $40 million on mental health, ‘clearly it’s not working’
- ‘BLM’, ‘Murderers’ painted on Rochester streets during 7th straight night of Daniel Prude protests
- Rochester police union on RPD shake-up: ‘Problems of leadership go directly to the mayor’s office’
- Daniel Prude’s family files lawsuit against City of Rochester, demands a jury trial
- Mayor Lovely Warren on future of Rochester Police Department: ‘I do not have all the answers today’
- Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary, more RPD command staff retires in wake of Daniel Prude death
- Naked with spit hoods: Rochester protesters demonstrate in solidarity with Daniel Prude
- Monday’s Daniel Prude protest in Rochester ends peacefully after police declare unlawful assembly
- Kenneth Morris Jr. calls for change in wake of Daniel Prude’s death
- President Trump says Rochester is ‘weakly run by radical left’ after a night of peaceful protests
- With prayer and songs, local activists and elders call for change and transparency for Daniel Prude
- Community Justice Initiative addresses Rochester police militarization tactics
- Councilmember Malik Evans calls for independent investigation into Prude’s death
- Mayor Warren, Chief Singletary address violent protests in wake of Daniel Prude’s death in Rochester
- Save Rochester BLM apologizes to Rev. Stewart, said goal is to continue protests and marches
- Police use of spit hoods scrutinized after Daniel Prude’s death in Rochester
- City Hall windows cracked, 9 arrested, alleged excessive force by RPD at Daniel Prude protest in Rochester
- Depew Police say Daniel Prude was asked to leave Amtrak train on March 22, day before police encounter
- Rochester police union: Chief’s office said ‘no concern of actions’ by officers at Daniel Prude scene
- Community Justice Initiative: ‘Saturday night was a war zone, RPD did not let up at all’
- Mental health experts: Prude needed help, not police
- 8 arrested, 2 officers injured, pepper spray deployed during Daniel Prude protest in Rochester
- Mayor Lovely Warren: RPD Chief told me Daniel Prude died from an apparent drug overdose
- Daniel Prude’s brother: ‘He didn’t have history of mental health issues’
- Gov. Cuomo on Daniel Prude death: ‘What I saw was deeply disturbing and I demand answers’
- 7 Rochester police officers involved in Daniel Prude death suspended with pay
- Daniel Prude, Black man killed by Rochester police, remembered as loving
- Rochester civil rights groups demand firing, prosecution of officers involved in Daniel Prude’s death
- Protests in Rochester after bodycam video surfaces in death of Daniel Prude
- Daniel Prude’s family demands justice for ‘cold-blooded murder’
- Protest in Rochester sparks after news of Daniel Prude’s death
- Autopsy report: Daniel Prude death ruled a homicide, died from asphyxia due to ‘physical restraint’
- 9 arrested in Rochester during protest at Public Safety Building over Daniel Prude’s death
- WATCH: Footage of encounter between Daniel Prude and Rochester police officers before his death
- Daniel Prude’s death, police encounter caught on body camera sparks NY AG investigation, protests in Rochester