ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Protesters demanding justice for Daniel Prude have been demonstrating in Rochester every day since news of his death became public on September 2.
While mostly peaceful, there have been several tense demonstrations with conflict between police and protesters, including the use of pepper balls and tear gas from police, and water bottles being thrown from protesters.
A group of local officials have written a letter to Gov. Andrew Cuomo asking for answers to the role New York State Police has during the nightly protests.
The letter — signed by Monroe County Legislators Rachel Barnhart, Yversha Roman, and Linda Hasman, Rochester City Councilmember Mary Lupien, Monroe County Democratic Committee Vice-Chair Nicole Hushla Re, Brighton Town Board Member Robin Wilt, and Rochester School Board Commissioner Beatriz Lebron — asks for answers to the following questions:
- How many New York State troopers were deployed each evening from September 2 to
- What equipment did the NYSP deploy, including armored vehicles, rubber bullets, tear
gas, pepper balls, LRAD, dogs and/or any other less lethal or crowd control tool?
- Did troopers use any pepper balls, tear gas, LRAD, or other less lethal devices during
- Who was coordinating the law enforcement response to the protests on each day?
- Is this picture of a NYSP trooper?
The letter concludes:
“In America, citizens should not have to don helmets, goggles, gas masks and shields to protest
their government. They should not have to fear violence for demanding police stop killing our
Black loved ones, friends and neighbors.
We would be very disappointed to learn NYSP is involved in this excessive response to protests
and ask that you take appropriate action to protect our neighbors and fellow citizens.”
Letter to Gov. Cuomo
Check back with News 8 WROC as we will continue to update this developing story.
- Rochester City Council, City Hall, and RPD to be subpoenaed soon in Daniel Prude death investigation
- DA Sandra Doorley on Daniel Prude death investigation, protesters calling for resignation
- Protesters continue to gather outside City Hall, demanding resignation of mayor, firing of officers and more
- Rochester City Council hosts listening session on Daniel Prude’s death, protests
- Attorney on first amendment rights of protesters: ‘The government must protect these rights’
- Rev. Jesse Jackson coming to Rochester, Rev. Stewart calls for arrest of officers in Prude death
- City officials announce creation of crisis intervention program in Rochester
- PAB wants to be part of Daniel Prude conversation: ‘This is what people voted for’
- Breaking down City of Rochester’s 323-page report into Daniel Prude death investigation
- Mayor Warren: Chief Singletary out, city’s communication director, lawyer suspended, review underway
- Lupien, Barnhart ask DOJ to investigate police response to Rochester protests
- Demonstrators call for district attorney’s resignation in 12th straight night of protests in Rochester
- Daniel Prude demonstration in Rochester for 11th night in a row
- Rochester man charged for ‘attacking officers with laser’ during protest for Daniel Prude
- Daniel Prude’s family arrives in Rochester for peaceful celebration of life event
- Joe Prude opens up about brother: ‘There will never be another Daniel’
- Rochester City Council questions Mayor Warren, Police Chief Singletary, RPD staff on protest response
- Rochester police union president Mike Mazzeo denies seeing Daniel Prude video in April
- Rep. Morelle: Mayor Warren, other leaders should ask themselves if they can still be a positive force
- Free the People ROC hosts town hall on policing and public health
- City Council president says Mayor Warren told her Prude’s death was an overdose after mayor saw video
- City of Rochester officials say police union president Mike Mazzeo received Daniel Prude video in April
- Mayor Lovely Warren, Rochester police union president call on each other to resign
- Police use of spit hoods scrutinized after Daniel Prude’s death in Rochester
- Depew Police say Daniel Prude was asked to leave Amtrak train on March 22, day before police encounter
- Rochester police union: Chief’s office said ‘no concern of actions’ by officers at Daniel Prude scene
- Mental health experts: Prude needed help, not police
- 8 arrested, 2 officers injured, pepper spray deployed during Daniel Prude protest in Rochester
- Mayor Lovely Warren: RPD Chief told me Daniel Prude died from an apparent drug overdose
- Daniel Prude’s brother: ‘He didn’t have history of mental health issues’
- Gov. Cuomo on Daniel Prude death: ‘What I saw was deeply disturbing and I demand answers’
- 7 Rochester police officers involved in Daniel Prude death suspended with pay
- Daniel Prude, Black man killed by Rochester police, remembered as loving
- Rochester civil rights groups demand firing, prosecution of officers involved in Daniel Prude’s death
- Protests in Rochester after bodycam video surfaces in death of Daniel Prude
- Daniel Prude’s family demands justice for ‘cold-blooded murder’
- Protest in Rochester sparks after news of Daniel Prude’s death
- Autopsy report: Daniel Prude death ruled a homicide, died from asphyxia due to ‘physical restraint’
- 9 arrested in Rochester during protest at Public Safety Building over Daniel Prude’s death
- WATCH: Footage of encounter between Daniel Prude and Rochester police officers before his death
- Daniel Prude’s death, police encounter caught on body camera sparks NY AG investigation, protests in Rochester