ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Former Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary is not cooperating with the independent Daniel Prude investigation, special council investigator Andrew Celli Jr. said in a statement Monday.
The statement said in part:
“On October 5, 2020, this office served a City Council subpoena upon La’Ron Singletary, the former Chief of the Rochester Police Department. The subpoena calls upon former Chief Singletary to produce documents and provide testimony relevant to the Investigation. Former Chief Singletary, through his attorney, has conveyed that he is unwilling to provide documents or give testimony in response to the Council’s subpoena.
Chief Singletary’s refusal to cooperate in the Investigation, while very unfortunate, will not materially impede our progress. Even as we actively consider remedies for such non-compliance (including, but not limited to, court enforcement), our work will continue, drawing on the many other sources of documentary evidence and testimony that are available to us.
Copies of correspondence between our office and former Chief Singletary’s attorney are available, along with other public materials from the Investigation, at the website of our law firm, Emery Celli Brinckerhoff Abady Ward & Maazel LLP.“
Celli Jr. was appointed by Rochester City Council to lead the independent investigation into Daniel Prude’s death, which first became public on September 2.
The special investigator said he would be subpoenaing City Hall, the Rochester Police Department, and City Council itself in regards to the investigation.
Singletary announced he would be retiring less than a week after news of Prude’s death became public, but less than a week after that, Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren relieved him of his duties before his effective retirement date. Several top-ranking RPD officials joined Singletary in retirement.
Cynthia Herriott-Sillivan has since been sworn in as the interim RPD chief, the first female in the RPD’s 200+ year history to hold the office of chief.
Check back with News 8 WROC as we will continue to update this developing story.
The latest stories regarding Daniel Prude
- Activists: Why pay an outside law firm to review RPD when we have a Police Accountability Board?
- 9 subpoenas issued in City Council’s independent investigation into Prude’s death
- Use of force: Did Rochester officers follow protocol the night they encountered Daniel Prude?
- Mayor Warren announces Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan to serve as new interim Rochester police chief
- Monroe County mental health official resigns over Daniel Prude email to Rochester police
- Protesters peacefully demand justice for Daniel Prude and Breonna Taylor in Rochester
- Rochester police spent nearly $1.4 million in overtime costs this month for Daniel Prude protests
- Daniel Prude protest leaders, Free the People ROC: Proud of this community, must continue the fight
- Occupy City Hall demonstration ends in Rochester after Mayor Warren, RPD subpoenaed in Daniel Prude case
- Subpoenas issued in Rochester City Council’s independent Daniel Prude investigation
- NY AG Letitia James announces new policy on body camera footage in Rochester
- Attorney for Daniel Prude’s family sues City of Rochester for delaying release of documents, videos
- Local officials pen letter to Gov. Cuomo regarding state police response in Rochester protests
- Rochester City Council, City Hall, and RPD to be subpoenaed soon in Daniel Prude death investigation
- DA Sandra Doorley on Daniel Prude death investigation, protesters calling for resignation
- Lupien, Barnhart ask DOJ to investigate police response to Rochester protests
- Demonstrators call for district attorney’s resignation in 12th straight night of protests in Rochester
- Daniel Prude demonstration in Rochester for 11th night in a row
- Rochester man charged for ‘attacking officers with laser’ during protest for Daniel Prude
- Daniel Prude’s family arrives in Rochester for peaceful celebration of life event
- Joe Prude opens up about brother: ‘There will never be another Daniel’
- Rochester City Council questions Mayor Warren, Police Chief Singletary, RPD staff on protest response
- Rochester police union president Mike Mazzeo denies seeing Daniel Prude video in April
- Rep. Morelle: Mayor Warren, other leaders should ask themselves if they can still be a positive force
- Free the People ROC hosts town hall on policing and public health
- City Council president says Mayor Warren told her Prude’s death was an overdose after mayor saw video
- City of Rochester officials say police union president Mike Mazzeo received Daniel Prude video in April
- Mayor Lovely Warren, Rochester police union president call on each other to resign
- Police use of spit hoods scrutinized after Daniel Prude’s death in Rochester
- Depew Police say Daniel Prude was asked to leave Amtrak train on March 22, day before police encounter
- Rochester police union: Chief’s office said ‘no concern of actions’ by officers at Daniel Prude scene
- Mental health experts: Prude needed help, not police
- 8 arrested, 2 officers injured, pepper spray deployed during Daniel Prude protest in Rochester
- Mayor Lovely Warren: RPD Chief told me Daniel Prude died from an apparent drug overdose
- Daniel Prude’s brother: ‘He didn’t have history of mental health issues’
- Gov. Cuomo on Daniel Prude death: ‘What I saw was deeply disturbing and I demand answers’
- 7 Rochester police officers involved in Daniel Prude death suspended with pay
- Daniel Prude, Black man killed by Rochester police, remembered as loving
- Rochester civil rights groups demand firing, prosecution of officers involved in Daniel Prude’s death
- Protests in Rochester after bodycam video surfaces in death of Daniel Prude
- Daniel Prude’s family demands justice for ‘cold-blooded murder’
- Protest in Rochester sparks after news of Daniel Prude’s death
- Autopsy report: Daniel Prude death ruled a homicide, died from asphyxia due to ‘physical restraint’
- 9 arrested in Rochester during protest at Public Safety Building over Daniel Prude’s death
- WATCH: Footage of encounter between Daniel Prude and Rochester police officers before his death
- Daniel Prude’s death, police encounter caught on body camera sparks NY AG investigation, protests in Rochester