Prude Death Investigation

Sweden woman arrested for endangering the welfare of a child


SWEDEN, N.Y. (WROC) — The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested a Sweden woman on Thursday.

42-year-old Jamie Nicosia was arrested and charged with assault in the second degree and endangering the welfare of a child.

On November 13, Nicosia called 911 and reported that a 3-year-old child was not breathing and unresponsive. The child, a young girl, was in foster care with Nicosia and her husband for the past year and was in the process of being adopted by the couple.

She was taken to the hospital, where a number of injuries were noticed and prompted Child Protective Services to get involved. Police said the injuries weren’t consistent with the ones reported in the 911 call.

According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, an investigation revealed that Nicosia intentionally committed acts that led to the injuries of the child. They said she gave a statement a couple of days after the call.

Nicosia is charged with assault and endangering the welfare of a child. However, police said they couldn’t charge her until nearly a month later because they were waiting for information from doctors.

Police said the child had bleeding between her skull and brain, hemorrhaging in both her eyes, and bruises on her body. Police said they are not sure if her sight will be fully restored.

Investigator David Bolton said he can’t explain why someone would do this.

“The hard part about that is you can never really tell what’s gonna cause somebody or what caused somebody to do something…It’s something that happens in that person’s own mind, that persons own head that causes them to do something that’s outside the norm- far outside the norm- and certainly far beyond regular punishment for a child,” said Bolton.

Bolton said Nicosia’s husband wasn’t involved and hasn’t been charged. The child has been released from the hospital and placed in a new foster home. An order of protection has been issued, not allowing any contact between the child and Nicosia.

Police also said the family had a CPS worker assigned to them and there were no prior reports from the house.

Nicosia was arraigned in Sweden Town Court and was released on her own recognizance. The case will now go to a grand jury.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Covid-19 County by County tracker

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss