UPDATE (9/22):

The Monroe County District Attorney’s Office tells News 8 the continuation of the trial of Kelvin Vickers has been delayed until Monday due to a sick member of the jury.

ORIGINAL (9/21):

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — Opening statements began Thursday morning in the trial of Kelvin Vickers, the man accused of shooting and killing Officer Anthony Mazurkiewicz.

The family of Officer Mazurkiewicz arrived at the courthouse ahead of the beginning of opening statements. In addition, officers are in attendance in the gallery including Rochester Police Chief David Smith.

Prosecutors began by repeating the last words spoken by Officer Mazurkiewicz: “Shots fired, start the cars.”

They say that all the evidence and witness testimony points to Vickers. The prosecution also said that Vickers is responsible for two other homicides and a fire days before the officer’s death.

Ahead of the defense’s opening statement, some people in the gallery exited before it began.

The defense followed by telling the jury that the two themes to keep in mind during the trial are “intent” and “identification,” arguing that life and violence in the City of Rochester may not be what the jurors’ are used to.

It is expected that Officer Sino Seng, who was shot at the scene, will testify. Other witnesses that will testify include people who saw three individuals get into a vehicle and drive away from the scene, according to Assistant DA Perry Duckles.

On July 21, 2022, Officer Mazurkiewicz was with his partner Officer Seng in an unmarked surveillance car on Bauman Street. Investigators said that a man hid behind a shrub and opened fire, shooting both officers and a 15-year-old girl in a nearby home.

Officer Seng got out of the vehicle and returned fire, but was unable to hit the suspect. Officer Mazurkiewicz was killed.

Vickers, a 22-year-old man from Boston, was identified as the suspect in the shooting. Officers said they found Vickers in the crawlspace of a nearby vacant home not long after the shooting. A loaded handgun was also found at the house.

He was arrested and charged with second-degree murder, second-degree attempted murder, assault, and six counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, and fourth-degree arson. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.