MOUNT MORRIS, N.Y. (WROC) — A Canadian citizen was arrested in Mount Morris for the illegal possession of 58 pistols, officials from the Livingston County Sheriff’s Department announced Monday.

Authorities say 36-year-old Badri Ahmed-Mohamed, from Ottawa, was stopped by Mount Morris police Sunday on Chapel Street for traffic violations.

Police say after a brief roadside interview, the responding officer “suspected illegal activity.” Ultimately, the officer located 58 handguns along with multiple high-capacity pistol magazines in a duffle bag in the trunk of a vehicle.

Officials say it’s suspected that the firearms were being trafficked across the country to an undetermined location.

“58 guns off the streets. To me, that’s a significant reduction wherever they were headed, whether they were headed to Mt. Morris, or Rochester, or Buffalo, or elsewhere. At the end of the day, we got them off the streets,” says Jeffery Wiedrick, Chief of Police in Mt. Morris.

Wiedrick says he doesn’t know where the guns were going but knows they weren’t going anywhere good.

“I wouldn’t think for a second a single one of those guns was going to go to a legal gun owner– they were all going to be illegally sold. At that volume, I would say to a criminal enterprise and eventually be used on the streets,” he says.

Rochester City Councilman Lightfoot Willie says after a record-setting violent year for 2021, — 2022 is fast on the same track. He says getting guns off the streets is just one cog in the wheel. 

“I think you have to look at a comprehensive approach to solving this violence in our community,” he says.

Lightfoot also says much of this starts with the home and family, and addressing mental health. But 58 illegal guns that could potentially end up in the city— now seized— is definitely a job well-done by the Mt. Morris Police. 

“It does make me feel really good to see those guns off the street,” says Lightfoot.

Authorities say Ahmed-Mohamed was charged with first-degree criminal possession of a weapon and transported to Livingston County Jail. He was arraigned and then held on $100,000 cash bail, $200,000 bond.

The FBI is assisting with the ongoing investigation, according to police.