Teachers union: ‘No confidence’ in RCSD’s response to school violence

RCSD

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — The Rochester Teachers Association issued a resolution of ‘no confidence’ in the Rochester City School District and its superintendent Tuesday, saying the district has failed to address recent incidents of violence in and around schools.

“While Rochester City Hall declared a State of Emergency due to the alarming increase of violence across the city, the Superintendent of Schools is failing to take any real action and is offering band-aids and empty rhetoric instead instead of leadership,” RTA President Adam Urbanski said in a statement Tuesday. “And now the Superintendent is recommending school closures, school mergers and school relocations – additional disruptions laying the foundation for maxing out class sizes and reducing services to our students for next year.”

The RTA issued the Resolution of No Confidence after members took a survey on safety in the district. That survey found:

• 84.95% of respondents strongly agree or agree “I am concerned about the safety of my students and/or my personal safety at work”
  • 94.86% strongly agree or agree that “Large class sizes are a risk factor contributing to lack of safety.”
  • 98.67% strongly agree or agree that “Staffing shortages is a risk factor contributing to lack of safety.”

RCSD Superintendent Lesli Myers-Small released a response Tuesday evening, saying:

I am not deterred by the action the RTA Representative Assembly has taken today. My team and I have been engaged in partnership with all of our union leaders. We are actively present at our schools and interact with many students, teachers, and staff in our District.  As superintendent, I am always open to continuous improvement and welcome constructive feedback. The work we have started will continue with a steadfast focus on the health and safety of our students and staff.

Read the full survey results

Read the resolution

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Rochester Rundown
What's Good with Dan Gross
Songs From Studio B
Download Our App

Don't Miss