RCSD on bus driver shortage: Expect a finalized solution Sunday

RCSD

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — More than 70 bus drivers are still missing from Rochester City School District’s front line as classroom doors open in four days. School leaders remain confident on finding a solution.

“We’re making progress.”

Rochester City School District superintendent Dr. Lesli Myers-Small said Saturday, on a major transportation crisis affecting thousands of families just days before the start of a new year.

Myers-Small said the district is still facing a sever bus driver shortage, but families can expect more finalized solutions Sunday.

“I’m tired, it’s been a long 24 hours,” Myers-Small said. “But we are committed as a school district to ensure our scholars can return, that’s really been the guiding principal all along.”

In those 24 hours, Myers-Small communicated with agencies like Regional Transit Service.

“Not only do we have to work on short-term solution, we have to work on a long-term solution, but I believe we can draw up plans to get us where we need to be with a quick start to school,” Myers-Small said.

RTS already works with the district to transport some students. Myers-Small says they may be able to help fill more routes, but nothing is finalized yet. She says it’s important all those applying to be a driver have the Commercial Driver’s License.

At an emergency public board meeting Friday, Superintendent Dr. Lesli Myers-Small laid out a proposal that would send grades 9-12 back to remote learning for the start of the year. It was a proposal not well-received by many.

Parents like Christopher Williams are left wondering what’s do to. Williams has four children in the district. “They’re just like, ‘Dad what’s going on,’ they’re not a fan of going back to remote learning,” he said.

Students entering their senior year, like Isaiah Santiago, are fearful of this becoming a reality. “The end of my 10th grade year was remote, 11th grade, and this is my last year in high school,” said Santiago. “I’m in theater and drama, but unfortunately because of COVID I haven’t been a part of any plays or musicals, that’s what I’m saying, I haven’t been able to have an experience.”

The hybrid model would not include students in specialized learning programs and Pre-K through 8th graders will return in person as planned. She also proposed pushing the school year start date back to September 9.

Myers-Small says she’s reminding everyone it’s just a proposal.

The district will hold a public board meeting Sunday at 6:30 p.m. to finalize a solution. The board meeting can be reached on their Facebook and Youtube pages.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage
Download Our App

Don't Miss