ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and many people, businesses, and organizations throughout the Greater Rochester Area are celebrating the Irish holiday.
The celebration doesn’t stop on Friday — the celebration is lasting into Saturday with multiple events being held to honor Irish culture and heritage.
For those in the Rochester area looking to celebrate, below is a guide to the many St. Patrick’s Day events happening this weekend:
Friday, March 17:
- If you’re feeling lucky, the sixth annual Luck of the Irish 5k will be held in honor of Hemophilia Month. The race is virtual and can be done at any time, but organizers say it’s even better if it is done on March 17. At least 15% of the entry fee will go towards the National Hemophilia Foundation, an organization looking to find better treatments for bleeding disorders.
- The Rince Na Tiarna Irish Dancers is inviting the public to watch them perform at the Irondequoit Public Library, which will begin at 1:00 p.m. The event is free and registration is not required.
- For another musical performance, musician Virgil Cain will be performing at Shamrock Jack’s. His performance consists of playing six instruments, including the acoustic and electric guitar, electric violin, and keyboards, and he loops the music to get a full band sound. His show will be approximately from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- This one is only for those ages 21 and over: Returning to Rochester is the sixth annual Lucky’s St. Patrick’s Day Crawl! Starting at Twisted Tap, attendees will crawl through bars such as Bar!90, Brass Bar & Lounge, and more! The event kicks off at 4 p.m. and until Saturday at 11:59 p.m.
- Fairport residents are welcoming back St. Paddy’s Fest for it’s sixth year. There will be four bars with beer, hard seltzer, cocktails, and more. There will be live music and special giveaways. The event will also be held on Saturday. Ticket holders must register from 4-7 p.m. on both Friday AND Saturday to enjoy the festivities.
- For a different bar hopping experience on St. Patrick’s Day, Anita Lyn’s Lounge will be holding a scavenger hunt at 6-11 p.m. Those 21 or older are allowed to partake.
- Those looking for a more calm and artistic St. Patrick’s Day celebration can join Painting with a Twist on Jefferson Avenue for their St. Patrick’s Day Painting Hour. Those who attend will go through step-by-step instructions with the many artists of Rochester. The event will be held from 4-6 p.m.
- Featuring Celtic folk group Dave North Trio, Lovin’ Cup on Park Point Drive will be hosting their “St. Patty’s Day Bash” featuring Irish food and drink specials. Dave North Trio will be providing live music with an assortment of pub songs, ballads, sea shanties, and more. The bash will begin at 6 p.m. with the show going from 7-10 p.m.
- At Comedy at the Carlson, Nuts & Bolts Comedy Improv is inviting the public to spend their St. Patrick’s Day with a night of comedy — all improvised! The show is from 8 p.m. until 10 p.m.
Saturday, March 18:
- If you aren’t able to make their Friday performance, you can check out Rince Na Tiarna Irish Dance’s second performance held at Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County in the Kate Gleason Auditorium. The show will begin at 12:30 p.m.
- Those who live in the Village of Avon will enjoy their version of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade. The parade will begin at 3 p.m. and will be held on Clinton St. and Genesee St. — and the St. Paddy’s Day fun doesn’t stop there for Avon…
- … Because Avon Driving Park will hold free ice skating and a firepit for S’mores after the parade. In addition, the Avon High School Auditorium will hold “The Putnum County’s 25th Annual Spelling Bee” at 7:00 p.m. or you can see the party band Bob’s Brother’s Band at Avon Park Theater at 7:30 p.m.
- Shamrock Jack’s St. Patrick’s Day celebration continues with a performance by The Seven Wonders — a Fleetwood Mac tribute band. The show will begin at 5:30 p.m. with band Judah opening for the group.
- Speaking of tribute bands, Chartwell — a U2 tribute band — will be performing at Mulconry’s Irish Pub and Restaurant in Fairport in honor of the holiday. The show will begin at 8:00 p.m.