Rhinos, Richmond Can't Score


The Rochester Rhinos played to a 0:0 draw with the Richmond Kickers in Sahlen's Stadium on Friday, May 30th 2014. Rochester rookie goalkeeper John McCarthy made two saves on five shots faced to keep the clean sheet. The Kickers Joe Willis made two saves on six shots faced to earn the shutout for visiting Richmond.

Richmond was in the middle of a stretch of three matches in four days. Rochester was playing their third match in a run of for in nine days. The Kickers will be in Harrisburg on Saturday night, and the Rhinos will be in Dayton on Sunday. Both coaches used players who don't normally see a lot of minutes. 

In the 14th minute Kickers striker Matthew Delicate was fouled near the midfield stripe. Midfielder Michael Callahan took the ensuing free kick and found the head of center back William Yomby 12 yards out on the left side of the Rhinos penalty area. Yomby directed his header towards goal but his effort was blocked down at the top of the six yard box. George Davis IV was the first to the bouncing ball and he put his shot on target, but McCarthy dove to his right to parry the ball around the right post for a corner kick. Davis IV had a second chance on the ensuing corner kick when his shot deflected on its way to goal, but McCarthy was able to get to the rebound.

In the 31st minute the Rhinos had their first chance of the match. After a spell of possession captain Tyler Rosenlund tracked down a through ball on the right side of the Kickers penalty area. Rosenlund held up the ball before passing it out to midfielder Alec Sundly who was supporting Rosenlund on the right flank. Sundly received the ball and then whipped it into the penalty area where his cross found the head of Minh Vu. Vu tried to put his header on target but his effort flashed over the cross bar after Richmond goalkeeper Joe Willis came off of his line to challenge Vu.

In stoppage time New England Revs loanee Donnie Smith had the last chance of the first half. Vu challenged Richmond center back Hugh Douglas for a fifty-fifty ball that Douglas was able to win at the top of the visitor's box. Smith was first to the loose ball 25 yards out, and he drove into the Kickers penalty area with his favored left foot. Smith took a shot at the far post, but his effort tailed away and went over the endline for a goal kick. Shortly thereafter head referee David Mon blew his whistle to signal half time.

In the 58th minute Banks controlled a corner kick that the Richmond Kickers had cleared from their penalty area on the right flank. Banks served the ball back into the Kickers penalty area, but center back Douglas was there to head the ball away. Douglas clearance only made it as far as Smith who shot the ball through traffic from 16 yards out, but the effort was right at Willis. Willis was able to parry the shot and the Kickers scrambled the ball away but only as far as midfielder Lance Rozeboom at the top of the box. However, Rozeboom put his effort over the cross bar for a goal kick.

In the 61st minute right back Pat McMahon stepped into midfield to intercept a Kickers pass. McMahon immediately played the ball to Banks in the middle of the park 30 yards out from Richmond's goal. Banks dibbled to the top of the box and hit a shot on goal, but it was easily held by Willis.

The Kickers responded with a free kick opportunity in the 65th minute. Callahan served a free kick from just inside the Rhinos half of the field on the right flank. Callahan's service found Douglas on the right side of Rochester's penalty area 16 yards out from goal. Douglas put a looping header on target that McCarthy had to back peddle under before he tipped the ball over the cross bar. McCarthy punched away the service into the six yard box on the ensuing corner kick.

After the Rhinos took four corners in quick succession the Kickers had the next chance in the 80thminute. Shay Spitz found a lane through the Rhinos midfield that he used to get within 25 yards of goal before he hit a shot. The shot quickly deflected off of a Rhinos defender wrong footing McCarthy in the Rhinos goal before it looped harmlessly over the corss bar for a goal kick.

Richmond got a chance on the the counter attack in the 84th minute. Callahan had the ball tackled away from behind by a recovery run and slide tackle from substitute Alex Dixon forty yards out from goal. However the loose ball found the feet of George Davis IV. Davis played a one-two with substitute Tish Hanley at the top of the box that put Davis through into the Rhinos penalty area. Davis put his shot into the side netting for a goal kick.

One minute later substitute Colin Rolfe had a chance at the other end for the Rhinos with his first touch after coming on. Fellow substitute Jonny Mendoza served a cross into the far post where Rolfe headed his shot just over the cross bar for a goal kick.

The Kickers had the final chance of the match during four minutes of stoppage time. Samuel Asante ran at the Rhinos defense before playing the ball out wide to overlapping right back Alex Lee. Lee played a dangerous service into the box, but McCarthy came off his line well to punch the ball away. However, his clearance only went as far as Spitz who controlled the ball on the left side of the penalty area 15 yards out from goal. Spitz took a touch before firing his shot into the side netting.

Rochester Rhinos goalkeeper John McCarthy has a 3 – 0 – 3 record in his six league starts with one goal conceded and five shutouts. McCarthy leads USL PRO in both goals against average (0.167) and clean sheets. As a team the Rhinos have only maintain the league's second best record in goals conceded and have only allowed four goals in their last nine league matches.

The Rhinos next home match is on Saturday June 7th at 7:05PM against the visiting Pittsburgh Riverhounds. 

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center