Lancers Drown In Milwaukee's Wave

- The Rochester Lancers (3-9) ended their 10 day road trip with a 28-12 loss to the Milwaukee Wave (8-1). Due to the harsh winter weather over the past week and a half, the Lancers have endured a road trip that never allowed them to return after last weekend’s games in St. Louis and Missouri. Add in an injury to goalkeeper Gavin McInerney that led to Marc Sotile getting to Milwaukee less than 24 hours prior to the game and the Lancers were in tough against the top of the table Wave. The Lancers were led offensively by Mauricio Salles who had a pair of restart goals and a five point night. Sotile made 26 saves in his pro debut.

Less than three minutes into the match, the Wave would convert a powerplay chance when Marcio Leite set up Carlos Munoz for the goal. Just 29 seconds later, JC Banks would deflect the Leite shot past Sotile to double the early Wave lead. The Lancers would get on the board when Salles took the three line pass violation restart and scored a 3-point goal off his favored left foot. Two minutes later, Banks would take a Lancers turnover and score into the upper ninety for his second of the game. With less than five minutes left in the quarter, Salles would take the top of the arc restart and blast it home for his second of the game. Just before the end of the quarter, Leite would pick up his third assist of the game when he found Pablo on the back post for the tap in goal to make it 8-5 Wave after one quarter.

The Wave would add to their lead when Nicolas Perera took advantage of a miscue in the back just over four minutes into the second quarter. Midway through the quarter, Jonathan Greenfield took a shot that looked to be going in before Giuliano Oliviero tapped it home. Perera would step into one from just inside the 3-point arc for his second of the game to give the Wave a 14-5 halftime lead.

The Lancers would get on the board first in the second half when Stephen Basso stepped into one from outside the 3-point arc and beat Marcel Feenstra. The Wave would get the next two goals with Leite setting up Ian Bennett off a restart and Tony Walls converting a Victor Quiroz assist. The Lancers would stop the Wave run when Gary Boughton cleaned up the rebound of a Doug Miller shot. Perera would get the hat trick three minutes later as he turned on his defender and shot just inside the far post. Oliviero would volley home his second of the game with just over five minutes left in the third quarter to give the Wave a twelve point lead at 22-10 after the third quarter.

The Wave would continue to cruise in the final quarter getting goals from Munoz, Marcelo Fontana, and Bennett. Troy Cole would score in the last minute to make the final score 28-12 for the Wave.
The Lancers will return home to the Blue Cross Arena on Friday, January 17th when they host the Syracuse Silver Knights at 7 pm.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center