- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound Italian pork sausages, casings removed and meat chopped
- 2 cups medium-grain rice, such as Arborio, Vialone Nano or Carnaroli
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup shelled peas (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring just to a simmer.
- In a large saucepan or risotto pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter with the olive oil. Add the onion and saut until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausages and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to break up the lumps, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook, stirring, until the kernels are hot and coated with oil, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and continue to cook, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and making sure the liquid has been absorbed before adding more. When the rice is about half cooked, stir in the peas and season with salt and pepper.
- The risotto is done when the rice grains are creamy on the outside and firm yet tender to the bite, 20 to 25 minutes total. Rice varies, so you may not need all of the stock or you may need more. If more liquid is required, use hot water.
- Remove the risotto from the heat. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the cheese. Spoon the risotto into warmed soup bowls and serve immediately.
John Hutchings of Healthy Edge Media discussed the health benefits of…
A light plane crash in Australia on Tuesday killed all five people on…