- 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Strain diced tomatoes, reserving juice. Combine diced tomatoes, olive oil, salt and black pepper in bowl; gently toss to blend. Place on baking sheet lined with foil and roast uncovered for 20 minutes; reserve.
- Melt butter in heavy soup pot, add onion and celery and cook over medium-low heat until onions are golden and tender.
- Add flour and stir to blend; cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth, reserved tomatoes and juice, basil and sugar, stir until fully blended.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Serve garnished with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.