Facebook and MySpace removed 5,385 accounts linked to 3,533 sexual predators from their rolls by the end of 2009. An additional 6,336 online profiles linked to approximately 803 additional New York state registered sex offenders have been removed from popular social networking sites.
A total of 11,721 profiles associated with 4,336 dangerous sexual predators registered in New York have been removed.
13 additional social networking sites, including those owned by Google, Yahoo! and AOL, agreed to use e-STOP to purge sex offenders.
These social networking Web sites have successfully removed hundreds of accounts tied to registered sex offenders with the law:
- MyLife/formerly Reunion.com - 2,001 offenders
- Tagged - 854 offenders (950 accounts)
- hi5 - 169 offenders (575 accounts)
- BlackPlanet - 114 offenders (570 accounts)
- Bebo/AOL -253 offenders (542 accounts)
- Flixster - 441 offenders (508 accounts)
- Flickr/Yahoo -343 offenders (448 accounts)
- Friendster - 255 offenders (271 accounts)
- eSpin - 103 offenders (120 accounts)
- Orkut/Google - 62 offenders (113 accounts)
- Stickam - 102 offenders (109 accounts)
- Buzznet - 13 offenders (18 accounts)
- Fotolog - 10 offenders (12 accounts)
Along with Facebook and MySpace the two largest social networking Web sites, this sweep constitutes the overwhelming majority of these types of sites operating in the United States.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.