WEBSTER, N.Y. (WROC-TV) - Monroe County officials held a news conference Friday morning to discuss response efforts to flooding concerns on Lake Ontario.
County Executive Cheryl Dinolfo, Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn and town supervisors were on hand at Mayer's Marina in Webster.
Dinolfo says the current water level of Lake Ontario is above its highest level in many years "due to the significant weather experienced this winter coupled with the recently enacted Water Level Plan 2014 by the International Joint Commission."
Plan 2014, a policy put in place earlier this year, includes new regulations for how water is released from Lake Ontario. Now that the policy is in place and significant flooding is occurring, many are turning to the plan as a reason.
Water levels are expected to rise an additional 9-11 inches over the coming months.
In an ongoing need for help from the federal government, Dinolfo is asking Senator Schumer to "provide relief to our citizens."
"We're here to help you and hope the federal government hears our call to action," said Dinolfo.
Sheriff O'Flynn says officers and the Coast Guard will be making sure people are following the rules and staying safe.
"We're preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best," said Irondequoit Town Supervisor Dave Seeley.
Watch the press conference below:
News 8 and RochesterFirst.com will continue to bring you the latest developments.