Dr. Fogarty suggested using the remaining days of summer to facilitate a smooth transition. She recommends the following:
1. Adjust bedtime expectations
2. Begin to have a regular meal schedule
3. Talk to your child about going back to school, what they enjoyed last year, what they're looking forward to this year
4. Take advantage of orientations to have younger children meet their teachers
5. Engage your child in planning for school lunches, purchasing school supplies like a lunch box or backpack
6. Wrap up your child's summer reading list/summer assignments
7. Establish routines with your child about homework, chores, bath time and bedtime
8. As school begins, stay in touch with your child's teacher to ensure they're adjusting well
9. Support your child's learning at home by checking in on assignments
For more information and suggestions, click here.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.